Cambodian Chicken Flat Noodle Porridge
The Cambodian Chicken Flat Noodle Porridge is a hearty soup dish that bears resemblance to chicken rice porridge, with the key difference being the use of large flat noodles in place of rice. The star ingredient in this recipe is the chicken or pork bone broth, which forms the flavorful base of the dish.
To prepare this dish, start by boiling 16 cups of water in a large soup pot and add the chicken (or hen or pork) until fully cooked. Remove the meat, let it cool, and then shred it before setting it aside. Retain the broth and add dried shrimp, dried cabbage, chicken flavor soup bouillon, fish sauce (or salt), and sugar to taste. Next, incorporate the noodles and shredded meat back into the broth, ensuring the noodle quantity matches the broth’s volume. If using fresh noodles, be cautious not to overcook them to prevent them from becoming mushy.
After adjusting the flavors, incorporate fried garlic and green onions into the soup and allow it to cool slightly before serving. When ready to serve, ladle the noodle soup into bowls and garnish with various toppings such as salted or sweet soybean, saw tooth coriander, bean sprouts, fried garlic, black pepper, lime wedge, Thai chili paste, and optional fry bread according to personal preference.
Nutritionally, each serving of this dish (serving size: 2) provides around 1245 calories. It is high in total carbohydrates (108g), cholesterol (353mg), total fat (47g), saturated fat (10g), dietary fiber (6g), protein (92g), sodium (8840mg), and sugars (27g). The preparation time for this recipe is approximately 30 minutes, with an additional 30 minutes for cooking.
|1 package of rice noodle
|1/2 chicken or 1 hen wash set aside
|16 cups of water or chicken broth
|3 tablespoon of dried shrimp wash set aside
|2 tablespoon of salted dried cabbage (tang Chay)
|2 tablespoon of chicken flavor soup bouillon
|2 tablespoon of fish sauce or salt (if you use salt do less)
|3 tablespoon of sugar
Green onion oil and garlic
|2 green onions chop
|3 garlic cloves minced
|3 tablespoon of olive oil to fry the onion and garlic
In a non stick fry pan add oil until hot then add garlic fry for few minutes then add green onion. Fry until golden brown. Take it out and set aside. This part is to put in the soup when it is done.
To garnish the soup bowl
|Salted or sweet soy bean
|Saw tooth coriander (Jee Bunlar) thinly slice
|Green onion cut thinly
|Fried garlic (if you have time mince lot of garlic and fry with oil ahead of time)
|Thai chili paste
|Fry bread (optimal)
Directions to make Cambodian Chicken Flat Noodle Porridge
- Put 16 cups of water in a big soup pot until boiling then add chicken or hen or pork of your choice
- Cook on high heat until the meat done, take the meat or chicken out let cool down then shred the meat and set aside.
- Turn the heat off keep the broth.
- Turn the heat back on now add dried shrimps, dried cabbage, chicken soup, fish sauce or salt, sugar, taste and adjust the flavor,
- Now add noodle and shredded meat or chicken to the broth make sure you adjust the noodle according to the broth.
- If you use fresh noodle don’t cook too long couple minutes is all you need or the noodle will turn to mash, it is almost the same as dried noodle if you soak it long enough.
- Taste your soup and add salt or sugar to you taste, turn the heat off
- Now add fried garlic and green onion to the soup pot stir and let it cool a bit before serve.
- When ready to serve spoon the noodle soup into soup bowl and garnish with the above ingredients,
Sugar, salted soy bean, saw tooth, green onion, bean sprouts, chili, lime juice, ect., according to your liking.
Related Recipe: Thai Green Curry Recipe
Serving Size: 2
Calories Per Serving: 1245