Fish Ball with Pineapple Soup
Fish Ball with Pineapple Soup is a delightful and culturally rich dish with roots in Asian cuisine. Pineapple, known as the “thousand eyes fruit,” holds historical significance, symbolizing friendship and harmony during the Khmer Empire. Even today, it is used for good luck decorations in homes, and in Vietnam, it is a popular fruit for food offerings during religious ceremonies.
To prepare this flavorful soup, fresh or frozen grounded fish is mixed with chopped green onions, fish sauce, sugar, black pepper, and vegetable oil in a large bowl. The mixture is rolled into small fish balls, creating a delightful and visually appealing element to the dish. The saucepan is preheated, and minced garlic is sautéed until brown, adding a rich depth of flavor.
In a large pot, fresh pineapple chunks or canned pineapple are combined with water, bringing the mixture to a bubbling state. The fish balls are then added to the boiling water, cooking for about 10 minutes. For a clear soup stock, any bubbles are removed. The soup is seasoned with fish sauce, sugar, and salt, creating a harmonious balance of flavors. Finally, the dish is garnished with cilantro, rice paddy herb, hot chili peppers (optional), and the previously toasted garlic.
Fish Ball with Pineapple Soup is best served hot with rice, offering a delightful combination of textures and flavors. This recipe not only provides a tasty culinary experience but also connects to the rich cultural heritage associated with pineapple in Asian traditions.
|1/2 lb (225 gram) of fresh or frozen grounded fish(sale at most Asian markets)
|2 stalks of green onions, chopped
|1 tablespoon of fish sauce
|1/2 tablespoon of sugar
|1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
|1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
|1 clove of garlic, minced
|1/2 fresh pineapple, cut chunks, or 1 large canned of chunks pineapple
|4 cups of water
|1/4 teaspoon of salt
|A handful of chopped cilantro leaves , and rice paddy herb
|2 chopped hot chili pepper(option)
Directions to make Fish Ball with Pineapple Soup
- In a large bowl, mix grounded fish with green onion, fish sauce,sugar, black pepper and ½ tablespoon vegetable oil, mix well. Dips hands in water to prevent sticking and rolls grounded fish in to small ball, when done set a side.
- Pre heat a small sauce pan.
- When sauce pan is hot, add oil and garlic, stirs till garlic turns brown, remove toasted garlic from hot oil and set it a side.
- Put pineapple and water in a large pot, cook till water bubbling.
- Add fish ball in to boiling water and cook for about 10 minutes.
- For clear soup stock removes all bubbles.
- Seasoning with fish sauce, sugar and salt.
- Top with cilantro, rice paddy herb, hot chili pepper and roasted garlic.
Serve hot with rice.
Related Recipe: Khmer Lemony Fish Soup
Serving Size: 1
Calories Per Serving: 560