German Pork Chop and Sauerkraut
German Pork Chop and Sauerkraut, a delicious and hearty dish hailing from Germany, combines boneless pork chops with the distinctive flavors of pickled cabbage, known as “sauerkraut.” This classic German recipe promises a delightful culinary experience, and learning to prepare it offers a taste of traditional German cuisine.
To commence the preparation, boneless pork chops are seasoned with minced garlic, salt, and black pepper, infusing the meat with savory and aromatic notes. The sauerkraut is then rinsed under cold water to remove excess liquid, ensuring a balanced and flavorful final result. In a preheated skillet or wok, vegetable oil is added, and the marinated pork chops are pan-fried over low heat until they reach a tender consistency.
Once the pork chops are cooked to perfection, they are removed from the skillet and set aside on a plate. In the same skillet, sliced yellow onions and sauerkraut are introduced, creating a harmonious blend of textures and flavors. Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce) and light brown sugar are added to enhance the sauerkraut’s taste and provide a touch of sweetness. The sauerkraut is stirred until it becomes hot and flavorful.
To serve, the sauerkraut is plated, and the pan-fried pork chops are placed on top, creating a visually appealing and appetizing presentation. German Pork Chop and Sauerkraut can be enjoyed hot, paired with classic accompaniments such as mashed potatoes or German hot potato salad. This recipe encapsulates the essence of German culinary traditions, offering a savory and satisfying dish that embodies the rich flavors of Germany.
|4 pieces of boneless pork chop
|2 cloves of garlic, minced
|1/4 teaspoon of salt
|1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
|1 package of sauerkraut (450 gram)
|2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
|1 large yellow onion, sliced
|1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
|1 tablespoon of light brown sugar
Directions to make German Pork Chop and Sauerkraut
- Seasoning pork chop with garlic, salt and black pepper, set a side.
- Rinses sauerkraut under cold water, squeezes all liquid out and set it a side.
- Pre heat a skillet or wok.
- When skillet is hot, add oil and marinated pork chop, pan-fried pork chop in low heat till meat tender.
- Removed pork chop from skillet, put on a plate and set a side.
- Using same skillet, add onion and sauerkraut, stirs, add Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce) and brown sugar, stirs well till sauerkraut hot. Put sauerkraut on a large plate and top with fried pork chop before serve.
Serve hot with mashed potato or with German hot potato salad.
Related Recipe: German Hot Potato Salad
Serving Size: 4
Calories Per Serving: 588