Khmer Trey Ngeat Phat Recipe
Khmer Trey Ngeat Phat is a beloved Cambodian dish featuring dried fish, preserved radish, and a medley of flavorful ingredients. This traditional recipe holds cultural significance, particularly among Khmer elderly and monks, who often enjoy it with bor bor (porridge). Renowned for its simplicity and ease of preparation, the dish is a culinary delight that satisfies taste buds. The main component, Trey Ngeat, is dried fish sourced from Cambodia, lending an authentic touch to the dish. Once prepared, Khmer Trey Ngeat Phat can be stored in the refrigerator for extended periods, ensuring a convenient and readily available treat.
To recreate this Khmer delicacy, gather the following ingredients: a whole Trey Ngeat, minced garlic, shallots, chopped green onions, preserved radish, olive or vegetable oil, sugar for sweetness, and optional MSG for added flavor. The cooking process involves boiling the Trey Ngeat until soft, smashing it into small pieces, and then stir-frying it until nearly dry. Preserved radish is introduced to the mix, contributing a golden hue without reaching the point of burning. Garlic and shallots are fried until golden brown, followed by the addition of green onions. The Trey Ngeat is reintroduced, creating a flavorful blend, and sugar and MSG are incorporated to taste. After cooking, allow the dish to cool before storing it in the refrigerator. This delightful creation is best served alongside bor bor.
Khmer Trey Ngeat Phat not only captures the essence of Cambodian cuisine but also showcases the cultural significance attached to its consumption. Its rich flavors, derived from the combination of ingredients and careful preparation, make it a favorite among locals and a dish worth savoring. Enjoy the culinary journey and the cultural experience that comes with each delightful bite of this traditional Khmer dish.
|You will need good Trey Ngeat (I use one whole trey ngeat)|
|6 cloves of minced garlic|
|1/2 cup of minced shallots|
|1 cup of chopped green onion|
|1 cup of minced preserved Radish|
|1/4 cup of olive oil or vegetable oil|
|Sugar adds as desire for sweetness|
|MSG add if you like|
Directions to make Khmer Trey Ngeat Phat Recipe
- Cut trey ngeat to small chuck to fit in the pot
- Boil water and add trey ngeat cook until soft then drain water wash until trey ngeat cool down.
- Break trey ngeat into small pieces then put in food processor or use mortar pestle to smash it to tiny pieces.
- In a fry pan turn the heat to medium then add the fish back, stir fry until it is almost dry then add preserved radish stir fry until golden, but not burn. Take it out set aside.
- In the same fry pan add oil until hot then fry garlic, shallots until golden brown.
- Now add green onion to it stir fry for 1 minute, then add trey ngeat back to fry pan mix it well then add sugar and msg as desire. Turn the heat off let it cool before storing it in the refrigerator.
Serve trey ngeat phat with bor bor (porridge).
Thank you and enjoy it.
Related Recipe: Cambodian Green Tomato Salad Recipe
Serving Size: 2
Calories Per Serving: 418