Orange Beef Salad
Crispy sliced spicy fried beef with crisp lettuce and tangy, sweet orange sauce is delicious Khmer salad. Back home, due to poverty many Khmer and Khmer reserves orange beef salad for special occasions or wedding. Khmer recipe used fish sauce, but you may substitute for soy sauce.
|1/2 lb (225 gram) of sirloin beef, sliced thin|
|1 tablespoon of fish sauce, or soy sauce|
|1 tablespoon of fresh or frozen minced lemon grass|
|1 clove of garlic, minced|
|1 teaspoon of sugar|
|2 chili pepper, minced (option)|
|2 tablespoons of all purpose flour|
|1 cup of vegetable oil for deep fried beef|
|1/2 cup of orange juice|
|1/2 cup of water|
|1/2 tablespoon of fresh lime or lemon juice|
|1 tablespoon of light brown sugar|
|1 teaspoon of salt|
|2 tablespoons of cornstarch|
|1 small yellow onion, sliced|
|1 red or green bell pepper, sliced|
|1/2 head of lettuce, chopped|
|A handful of fresh mint leaves|
Directions to make Orange Beef Salad
- In a large bowl, put beef with soy sauce, lemon grass, garlic, sugar, and chili pepper together, mix well, add flour, mix well and set it a side.
- Pre-heat oil in a skillet or wok with high temperature.
- When oil is hot, deep fry marinated beef till it crispy. Removes fried beef from skillet, put it on a paper towel covered plate to drain excessive oil.
- Pour remaining oil still in skillet out, but keep approx 1-tablespoon oil in the skillet for making sauce.
- In a small bowl, mix orange juice with water, lime juice, brown sugar and salt and cornstarch together, mix well, set a side
- Heat up same hot skillet on the stove, add onion and bell pepper, sauté till onion soften. Pour orange prepared orange juice over, stirs till sauce thicken.
- Put chopped lettuce on center of a plate, add fried beef on top and pour orange sauce over. Top with more lettuce and mint leaves and serve immediately.
- Serve as appetizer *mahope-sar* or with rice.
Related Recipe: Cucumber Salad with Chicken Gizzards
Serving Size: 4
Calories Per Serving: 670
% Daily Value
Total Carbohydrate 19g 7%
Cholesterol 51mg 17%
Total Fat 58g 74%
Saturated Fat 12g 60%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Protein 19g 38%
Sodium 973mg 42%
Sugars 9g 18%
Share & Print
← Previous Cucumber Salad with Chicken Gizzards
Next → Khmer Hot Beef Salad