Purple Yam Soup Recipe
Yummy thick, rich and starchy soup with grated purple yam, and shrimp is one of many wonderful recipes from America. In America, yam often confused with sweet potato. Yam and sweet potato are from different plant species. Depending on the variety, a yam’s flesh may be various shades off white, yellow, purple, or pink, and the skin from off-white to dark brown color. Yam range from a size of sweet potato up to 100 lbs. You can find fresh or frozen yam at Asian markets or African markets.
|1/2 lb (225 gram) of shrimp, peeled, de-veined and grounded|
|1/2 teaspoon of salt|
|1/4 teaspoon of black pepper|
|2 stalks of green onion, chopped|
|4 cups of water|
|2 cups of fresh grated purple yam, or 1 package frozen grated purple yam|
|2 tablespoons of fish sauce|
|1 teaspoon of sugar|
|1/3 cup of chopped sweet basil leaves, (option)|
Directions to make Purple Yam Soup Recipe
- In a small bowl, put shrimp, salt, black pepper and ½ amount of green onion together, mix well and set a side.
- Put water in a soup pot, cook till water boiling.
- Add purple yam in to the boiling water, stirs well, cook till purple yam tender.
- Add marinated shrimp, stirs well till shrimp turn darker color pink.
- Seasoning with fish sauce and sugar.
- Top with the remaining green onion and basil leaves.
Serve hot with rice.
Related Recipe: Shrimp and Taro Root Soup
Serving Size: 1
Calories Per Serving: 624