Vietnamese Steam Rice Cakes
This is Vietnamese recipe of steam rice cakes, you can do it 2 ways, to steam it or cook it in hot cake pan (Thai KaNum Krok pan) in Vietnam this recipe is steamed on a large steamer with many tiny bowls inside the steamer. I did it a bit different because I don’t have tiny bowls to steam. I mix everything according to the package then I use Num Krok pan to cook it, it works well.
To make the filling
|1/3 cup of dried shrimps (you can also use fresh shrimps) soaks wash set aside|
|1/2 cup of yellow monk bean soak for few hours then steam until it is cooked|
|1/4 cup of minced preserved turnip|
|2 minced shallots|
|2 minced green onions or chives|
|Dash of sugar and msg up to you|
|2 tablespoon of oil|
To make the sweet fish sauce
|3 tablespoon of fish sauce|
|2 tablespoon of sugar (more or less up to you)|
|2 to 3 tablespoon of lime juice|
|3 tablespoon of water|
|1 garlic clove, minced|
|1 Thai chili minced|
|Mix and adjust the flavor to your taste.|
Directions to make Vietnamese Steam Rice Cakes
- Heat oil on medium heat until hot; add shallots stir fry until golden color
- Add dried shrimps, and turnip, stir fry until hot
- Add green onion, monk bean, sugar, msg mix well turn the heat off
- Take the filling mixture out and set aside
For the batter
- You need 1 bag of Bot Banch Beo Vietnamese rice cake and mix with 4 cup of water (direction is on the package) what I did with my recipe is I used 3 cup of water and 1 cup of coconut milk.
- Heat up the Num Krok cake pan on medium heat until hot brush with oil inside each hole. Spoon the cake batter into the holes cover and cook for 2 minutes or until the batter is a bit thicker,
- Now add 1 t of filling to each batter and drizzle 1 t of cake batter on top so the filling will stick with the cake, continue to cook until the batter is done. Take each cake out put them on a serving platter. Repeat the remaining batter and filling.
To serve the rice steam cake all you have to do is drizzle the sweet fish sauce on the top of the cake.
Related Recipe: Cambodian Num Krok – Cambodian rice cake
Serving Size: 2
Calories Per Serving: 374