White Asparagus with Crab Meat Soup
White Asparagus with Crab Meat Soup, a delicacy often reserved for special occasions or wedding banquets, carries the authentic Khmer touch of using kdam-sre, rice-field crab. Traditionally, our ancestors would painstakingly pound tiny crabs until they liquefied, a technique that, while time-consuming, produced an exceptionally flavorful soup. However, the recipe presented here offers a simpler alternative that doesn’t compromise on taste. For those with shellfish allergies, crab meat can be substituted with boiled and chopped chicken breast.
To prepare this exquisite soup, minced garlic is sautéed in vegetable oil until light brown, creating a fragrant garlic oil. Meanwhile, in a soup pot, yellow onions are combined with chicken broth, simmering over medium heat. White asparagus, obtained from a can, is added to the boiling broth, infusing the soup with its distinct flavor. As the broth cooks, a mixture of cornstarch and the liquid from the asparagus is prepared separately.
The soup is seasoned with fish sauce, sugar, salt, and black pepper, creating a harmonious blend of savory and sweet flavors. The cornstarch liquid is then carefully poured into the boiling soup, thickening it to the desired consistency. A medley of crab meat, imitation crab meat, and the earlier prepared garlic oil is introduced, enhancing the soup’s richness.
For those seeking an extra touch, a beaten egg is gently poured into the soup, creating delicate egg ribbons that add both texture and visual appeal. The final touches involve topping the soup with chopped green onions and cilantro, providing freshness and a burst of color. White Asparagus with Crab Meat Soup is now ready to be served, offering a taste of Khmer culinary excellence that combines simplicity with exquisite flavors.
|2 cloves of garlic, minced|
|1 tablespoon of vegetable oil|
|2 canned or 4 cups (900 ml) of Swanson Chicken-broth or any brand|
|1 small yellow onions, minced|
|1 large canned white asparagus|
|2 tablespoons of cornstarch|
|1 tablespoon of fish sauce|
|1 tablespoon of sugar|
|1/4 teaspoon of salt|
|1/4 teaspoon of black pepper|
|6 oz (170 gram) of Imitation crab meat (option)|
|1 beaten egg (option)|
|3 stalks of green onion, chopped|
|1/2 cup of chopped cilantro|
|1 Canned (6 oz or 170 gram) of Bumble Bee Fancy white crab meat|
Directions to make White Asparagus with Crab Meat Soup
- Heat up a small saucepan. Add oil and garlic when it hot. Sauté garlic till light brown. Set a side.
- Put yellow onion and chicken broth in a soup pot and cook in medium temperature.
- While soup stock cooking, open jar of white asparagus, pour liquid in to a small bowl. Add cornstarch with liquid and mix well. Set a side.
- Removes asparagus stems from jar and put it in a plate. Shredded asparagus stems to long,thin strips.
- Add white asparagus in to boiling soup stock.
- Seasoning with fish sauce, sugar, salt and black pepper.
- Pour cornstarch liquid in to boiling soup stock with one hand, and other hand to stirs soup well.
- Add crab meat, imitation crab meat and garlic oil. Stirs well.
- Pour beaten egg in to boiling soup and stir well.
- Top with green onion and cilantro before serve.
Related Recipe: Pineapple Soup with Chicken
Serving Size: 1
Calories Per Serving: 671