Bean Thread Noodles Soup with Pork
Bean Thread Noodles Soup with Pork is a delightful Khmer ethnic food, celebrated particularly during the Cambodian New Year Eve. This soup holds cultural significance as it is often prepared as food offerings during the festivities, symbolizing prosperity through the inclusion of pork and harmony represented by bean thread noodles.
To prepare this dish, start by soaking the bean thread noodles and fried pork skins in warm water until they soften. The noodles are then cut in half, while the fried pork skin is cut into bite-sized chunks. In a soup pot, chicken bones are simmered in water until the meat is tender, after which the bones are removed from the pot.
The broth is enriched by adding sliced pork, yellow onion, carrot, and the previously prepared fried pork skins. The mixture is cooked until the meat is tender, creating a flavorful base for the soup. The seasoning includes fish sauce, sugar, salt, and black pepper, enhancing the overall taste profile of the dish.
As the final step, the softened bean thread noodles are added to the boiling soup, creating a satisfying and hearty texture. The soup is then garnished with chopped green onions and fresh cilantro, adding vibrant flavors and colors to the presentation. It’s worth noting that if the soup thickens, it can be diluted with more chicken broth or water.
Served hot with rice, this Bean Thread Noodles Soup with Pork is a delicious embodiment of Khmer tradition, blending cultural symbolism with a harmonious combination of ingredients for a delightful culinary experience.
|1/2 package of bean thread noodle|
|1/2 oz (14 gram) of fried pork skins|
|1 lb (450 gram) of chicken bones|
|5 cups of water|
|1/2 lb (225 gram) of pork meat, sliced thin|
|1 yellow onion, sliced|
|1 carrot, peeled and sliced|
|2 tablespoons of fish sauce|
|1/2 tablespoon of sugar|
|1/2 teaspoon of salt|
|1/4 teaspoon of black pepper|
|2 stalks green onion, chopped|
|A handful of fresh cilantro, chopped|
Directions to make Bean Thread Noodles Soup with Pork
- Soaked bean thread noodles and fried pork skin with warm water in separated bowls till it soften.
- Drained bean thread noodles and cut length in half, set a side.
- Drained fried pork skin and cut in to chunks bite sizes, set a side.
- Put chicken bones and water in a soup pot and cook till the chicken meat tender, removed chicken bones from soup pot.
- Add pork meat, yellow onion, carrot and fried pork skins, and cook till meat tender.
- Seasoning with fish sauce, sugar, salt and black pepper.
- Add bean thread noodles in to boiling soup, stirs well.
- Top with green onion and cilantro before serve.
- Note: If soup thicken diluted with more chicken broth or water.
Serve hot with rice.
Related Recipe: Grounded Pork Stuffed Bitter Melon Soup
Serving Size: 2
Calories Per Serving: 873