Cambodian Banana Blossom sour soup
The Cambodian Banana Blossom Sour Soup is a flavorful and accessible dish that can be easily prepared at home. The recipe begins with a crucial step: soaking the banana blossom in a mixture of water and vinegar or lime juice to prevent discoloration. Similarly, the green banana or banana tree is treated in the same way to maintain its natural color during cooking.
The key ingredients for this soup include sliced banana blossom, yellow and red bell peppers, water, chicken broth, a choice of white fish (such as Tilapia or Trey Cheur), kroeung (a blend of garlic and galangal), smashed garlic cloves, tamarind powder, prahok (a fermented fish paste), fish sauce or salt, and a handful of holy basil for added flavor.
The cooking process involves adding water, chicken broth, and garlic to a soup pot and bringing it to a boil. Next, kroeung and tamarind are incorporated before introducing the banana blossom and bell peppers. The soup is simmered until the banana blossom softens. Then, prahok, fresh fish, and seasoning are added to taste. If using dried fish (Trey Cheur), it should be added at the beginning to infuse its flavor into the broth.
After cooking, the soup is allowed to sit for three minutes with the lid open. Finally, holy basil is added for a burst of aromatic freshness. The Cambodian Banana Blossom Sour Soup is best served with cooked rice and fresh chili for an extra kick of heat.
Overall, this recipe offers a simple yet flavorful way to enjoy the unique and vibrant flavors of Cambodian cuisine from the comfort of your own kitchen. The careful preparation of the banana blossom ensures a visually appealing and appetizing dish that can be savored with each delicious spoonful.
|1 small banana (about 3 cups sliced)|
|1/2 yellow bell pepper thinly sliced|
|1/2 red bell pepper thinly sliced|
|3 cups of water|
|1 can of chicken broth|
|8 oz (230 gram) of Tilapia or any white fish you can use Trey Cheur (dried fish) also|
|2 tablespoon of kroeung with garlic and galangal in it|
|2 cloves of garlic smashed|
|1 tablespoon of tamarind powder|
|1 tablespoon of prahok more or less up to you|
|Fish sauce or salt to taste|
|Handful of Holy Basil|
Directions to make Cambodian Banana Blossom sour soup
- On small banana peels the old leave out use only the younger leaves inside, thinly sliced (Soak with water and vinegar for at least 15 minutes)
- In a medium soup pot on high heat add water, chicken broth and garlic bring to a boil add kroeung and Tamarind before you add banana blossom to prevent the banana blossom turn black color to the soup.
- Now add the banana blossom and bell pepper cook until the banana blossom is soft
- Then add Prahok, Fresh fish, fish sauce or salt to your taste. Cook until the fish is done, if you use trey cheur do put it at the beginning with water and broth so the dried fish flavor will come out.
- Turn the heat off let it sit for 3 minutes with lid open then add the Holy Basil to the soup.
Serve with cook rice and fresh chili.
Related Recipe: Chinese Dim Sum or Wonton
Serving Size: 2
Calories Per Serving: 487