Cambodian Glutinous Rice with Egg Custard
Cambodian Glutinous Rice with Egg Custard is a delightful and straightforward dessert that combines steamed egg custard with sweet coconut glutinous rice. The recipe calls for readily available ingredients such as glutinous rice, eggs, coconut milk, sugar, salt, and optional flavorings like pendant leaves or vanilla extract. The process involves soaking the rice, steaming it until cooked, and preparing a smooth, flavorful custard mixture.
To begin, the glutinous rice is washed and soaked for at least three hours, allowing it to absorb moisture and achieve a desirable texture. After soaking, the rice is steamed until it reaches a tender and sticky consistency. The specifics of steaming can be found online, ensuring the rice is perfectly cooked. This step lays the foundation for the base of the dessert.
The egg custard mixture is created by whisking together eggs, coconut milk, sugar, and salt until the ingredients are fully dissolved and the liquid is smooth. The mixture is further enhanced by incorporating the unique flavor of pendant leaves, which are squeezed into the mixture for added depth. Alternatively, vanilla extract can be used to achieve a similar effect. The custard is then poured into bowls and steamed until it sets, typically taking around 15 minutes.
To complement the dish, a coconut cream drizzle is prepared using the remaining coconut milk, combined with sugar and cornstarch. This mixture is gently heated until it thickens, providing a creamy and luscious topping for the dessert. To serve, the steamed glutinous rice is placed on a plate, topped with the egg custard, and drizzled with the coconut cream. For an extra layer of flavor, durian and mango can also be included as side accompaniments. This Cambodian dessert offers a harmonious blend of textures and flavors, making it a delightful treat to savor and enjoy.
|3 cups of glutinous rice
|3/4 cup of coconut milk
|3/4 cup of sugar
|1/2 teaspoon of salt
|3 pendant leaves steam
|or 1 teaspoon of vanilla
Directions to make Cambodian Glutinous Rice with Egg Custard
- Wash glutinous rice and soak for 3 hours or longer. Then steam in the steamer until it is done set aside. Do check on line how to steam or microwave the sticky rice.
- Whip the eggs first then coconut milk, sugar and salt until dissolve and the liquid is very smooth then use your hand to squeeze the steam pendant leaves with the eggs mixture to give flavor to the custard, threw away the pendant leaves or you can use vanilla extract.
- Pour the egg mixture into 4 bowls and steam for 15 minutes or until it is done. Take out let it cool.
- To make coconut cream to drizzle on top
- You should have some coconut milk left
- Put 2 tablespoon of sugar and 1 t of cornstarch in it
- Stir on low heat until thicken. If not thick enough you can add a bit more cornstarch.
To serve put steam glutinous rice on a plate spoon the egg custard on top then drizzle it with coconut cream. You can also it with durian and mango on the side.
Related Recipe: Khmer Grapefruit and Pomelo Salad with Grilled Shrimp
Serving Size: 2
Calories Per Serving: 1633