Chinese Sweet Potato Coconut Huat Kueh
Huat Kueh is a tasty and common Chinese cake that is steamed with purple sweet potato. It has a sweet and coconutty taste and is a soft and fluffy cake. Huat Kueh is a symbol of wealth and luck, and is eaten during Chinese New Year and other special events.
You can make Huat Kueh easily with a few simple ingredients: mashed sweet potato, egg, coconut oil, coconut milk, sugar, and self-raising flour. First, steam the sweet potato until soft and mash it until smooth. Next, add the egg, coconut oil, and sugar and mix well. Then, in another saucepan, mix the coconut milk and sugar over low heat until the sugar melts. Do not boil the coconut milk.
Pour the coconut mix into the sweet potato mix and whisk until well mixed. Sift in the flour and fold it in until a smooth mix forms. Fill the cup cases with the mix and steam over high heat for 25 minutes.
You can eat Huat Kueh warm or cold and serve it with tea or coffee. It is also a good snack or dessert to share with friends and family.
|100 grams of mashed sweet potato
|50 grams of Ayam brand coconut oil
|250 grams of Ayam brand trim coconut milk
|120 grams of fine sugar
|250 grams of self-raising flour, sifted
- Steam sweet potato until soft and mash till smooth.
- Add in egg and coconut oil and mix well.
- Place coconut milk and sugar in a saucepan, stir over low heat till sugar is well dissolved.
- Do not let it boil.
- Pour the coconut mixture into sweet potato mixture and whisk till well combine.
- Sift flour over and fold in till a smooth batter is formed.
- Ladle the batter into cup cases till full.
- Place the cup cases into preheated steamer.
- Cover and steam over high heat for 25 mins.
Related Recipe: Thai Red Curry Coconut Clams
Serving Size: 1
Calories Per Serving: 1524