Fish and Asian Purple Spinach Soup
Asian purple spinach with sweet potato and fish soup flavor with lemon grass and *mam* fermented fish is tasty Khmer country food. For this recipe I used catfish nuggets instead of tradition Asian catfish (trey naing)that we usually cook back home. Catfish nuggets are pieces of belly flaps, it is cheapest and taste great. Fresh catfish nuggets has very mild odor and light pink color.
|1 tablespoon of vegetable oil|
|2 cloves of garlic, minced|
|1/4 cup of minced fresh or frozen lemon grass|
|3 tablespoons of roasted rice powder|
|2 finely chopped hot chili pepper (option)|
|4 cups of water|
|1 cup of sweet potato( already peeled and cut to cubes)|
|1 lb (450 gram) of catfish nuggets|
|2 tablespoons of fish sauce|
|1/2 tablespoon of sugar|
|1/4 teaspoon of black pepper|
|1 tablespoon of creamy style mam, or creamy style pahok, (option)|
|1 bunch (approx 2 lbs or 900 gram) of Asian purple spinach, removed leaves from it stems, washed and drained|
|2 stalks of green onion, chopped|
Directions to make Fish and Asian Purple Spinach Soup
- Pre-heat a soup pot.
- When soup pot is hot, add oil, garlic, lemon grass, rice powder and hot chili pepper, stirs well.
- Add water, sweet potato and fish, cook till fish and sweet potato tender.
- Seasoning with fish sauce, sugar, black pepper, and *mam* or *pahok*.
- Add Asian purple spinach leaves and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Top with green onion before serve.
Serve hot with rice.
Related Recipe: Winter Melon Gourd and Steamed Mackerel Soup
Serving Size: 2
Calories Per Serving: 851