Grapefruit Mussel Salad
Grapefruit with green papaya and mussel is one of Khmer favorite appetizers *mahope sar*. Apple snail and Cherrystone is very good with this recipe also.
|2 lbs (900 gram) of mussel, scrubbed and cleaned shells|
|2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice|
|1 tablespoon of sugar|
|1/4 teaspoon of salt|
|1 tablespoon of fish sauce|
|1 green papaya, approx 2 lbs (900 gram), peeled, seeded and shredded, or 4 cups already shredded green papaya|
|A handful chopped fresh mint and sweet basil|
|2 hot chili pepper, chopped (option)|
|1/4 cup of unsalted roasted peanut, crushed|
Directions to make Grapefruit Mussel Salad
- Put mussel in a large pot, pour water enough to cover the mussel and boiled till it shells opened, drained. Removed mussel meat from shells and set it a side.
- Peeled and seeded grapefruit, separate each segment into chunks bite sizes and set a side.
- In a small bowl, mix fresh lime juice with sugar, salt and fish sauce, set a side.
- In a large bowl, mix shredded green papaya, mussel, grapefruit and fresh herbs together, pour lime sauce on top and mix well.
- Top with roasted peanut and chili pepper before serve.
- Serve with sweet fish sauce
- or with Khmer favorite pickle fish dipping sauce (tirk pahok)
Related Recipe: Squid and Mango Salad
Serving Size: 4
Calories Per Serving: 479
% Daily Value
Total Carbohydrate 56g 20%
Cholesterol 64mg 21%
Total Fat 17g 22%
Saturated Fat 10g 50%
Dietary Fiber 6g 21%
Protein 33g 66%
Sodium 1175mg 51%
Sugars 29g 58%
Share & Print
← Previous Squid and Mango Salad
Next → Spicy Fried Oyster Salad