Homemade Sweet Rice Cake
The Homemade Sweet Rice Cake is a delightful Japanese and Korean treat that is both simple to make and delicious. The key ingredient is Mochiko Sweet Rice Flour, specifically the Blue Star Brand, which can be found in Asian stores. Additionally, you’ll need sweet red bean paste for the filling. The recipe yields about 8 mochi.
To begin, take a tablespoon of red bean paste and roll it into a small ball, setting them aside. In a bowl, combine the Mochiko rice flour, water, sugar (adjust to taste), salt, and a drop of food coloring. Cover the mixture and microwave it for 3 minutes. Afterward, give it a good mix to ensure even cooking, then return it to the microwave for an additional minute.
Once done, knead the mixture with a wooden spoon until it reaches an elastic, dough-like consistency. Prepare a working surface by dusting it with potato flour (or regular flour if preferred) to handle the sticky dough. Divide the dough into 8 equal parts and flatten each piece in the palm of your hand. Place a red bean filling in the center, then roll it into a round ball shape, dusting it with potato flour. Optionally, you can also coat it with shredded coconut flakes for added flavor.
These Mochi Sweet Rice Cakes can be presented in baking paper cups and make a delightful gift, especially when placed in a decorative cake box. This homemade treat is not only easy to prepare but also a delectable addition to any occasion. Enjoy the sweet, chewy goodness of this Japanese and Korean delicacy!
|1 tablespoon of red bean paste
|1 cup of Mochiko rice flour (this only give about 8 Mochi)
|3/4 cup of water
|1 tablespoon of sugar (if you like it sweet add more sugar)
|1/4 teaspoon of salt
|1 drop of any food coloring you like
Directions to make Homemade Sweet Rice Cake
- Take a 1 tablespoon of red bean paste and roll it to a small ball set aside do as many as you like.
- Mix and combine all the ingredients in a bowl to paste, cover and microwave for 3 minutes
- Take it out mix it again to make sure all part of four is cooked through
- Now put in back in the microwave for 1 minute, when it is done knead it with a wooden spoon until you
- See the elastic kind of dough
- Flour working surface with potato flour (sometime I use regular flour) enough to handle the sticky dough knead and divide the dough into 8 equal parts, then flat the dough in the palm of your hand place the red bean filling in the center and roll it to a round ball shape dust it with potato flour place it in a baking paper cup.
- You can also dust it with shredded coconut flake on the outside it tastes good.
- This Mochi Sweet Rice Cake is also good for gift by putting it in a nice cake box.
Related Recipe: Cambodian Bean Thread Noodle Salad
Serving Size: 2
Calories Per Serving: 627