Hot Sour Chicken Soup with Lotus Shoots
Savor sweet, sour and spicy soup with chicken and lotus shoots is Khmer Krom country food. This soup is easy to make and taste wonderful. In religion, lotus flowers is symbol of spiritual purity. It is one of Khmer Buddhists favorite flowers offerings. Immersed from muddy water, the magnificent lotus plant has been long provided beautiful and tranquility scenery for the humans’ eyes.The lotus roots, lotus seeds and lotus shoots are excellent for cooking, and the lotus leaf we uses for wrapping meat, fish or sweet treats. Fresh lotus seeds is one of my favorite childhood snacks.
|2 tablespoons of vegetable oil|
|2 cloves of garlic, sliced thin|
|1/4 cup of fresh or frozen minced lemon grass|
|1 lb (450 gram) of chicken breast or thigh, cut chunk bite sizes|
|1/4 teaspoon of salt|
|1/4 teaspoon of black pepper|
|4 cups of water|
|2 kaffir lime leaf|
|2 tablespoons of tamarind juice|
|2 tablespoons of sugar|
|2 tablespoons of fish sauce|
|8 oz (230 gram) of boiled lotus shoot, rinsed with cold water and drained|
|1 tomato, sliced wedged of bite sizes|
|1 stalk of green onion chopped ½ inch in length|
|1/2 cup of chopped sweet basil leaves and paddy rice herb|
|2 chopped red hot chili pepper (option)|
Directions to make Hot Sour Chicken Soup with Lotus Shoots
- Pre-heat a soup pot.
- When soup pot is hot, add oil and garlic, sauté garlic till it brown, removed toasted garlic from oil and set it a side.
- Add lemon grass, chicken, with salt and black pepper in soup pot with hot oil, slightly brown chicken meat.
- Add water and kaffir lime leaves and cook till chicken meat tender.
- Seasoning with tamarind juice, sugar, and fish sauce.
- Add lotus shoot, stirs and cook till soup bubbling.
- Top with green onion, herbs, hot chili pepper and roasted garlic.
Serve hot with rice.
Related: Chicken with Preserved Lemon Soup
Serving Size: 2
Calories Per Serving: 541