Khmer Stuffed Chicken Legs
The Khmer Stuffed Chicken Legs recipe is a flavorful and intricate dish that requires some time and effort, but the delicious result is well worth it. This Khmer Thai dish involves stuffing chicken legs or wings with a mixture of ground meat (chicken, pork, or shrimp) combined with a variety of flavorful ingredients like green onion, carrot, dried mushrooms, onion, bamboo shoots, and bean thread noodles. Optional additions include roasted crushed peanuts and a mix lemongrass paste, which is favored by Khmer people. The filling is seasoned with oyster sauce, soy sauce, and sugar, creating a mouthwatering mixture.
To prepare the chicken legs or wings, a sharp knife is used to carefully remove the bone, creating a hole inside for the stuffing. The filling mixture is combined in a large bowl, and then each piece of chicken is packed with this flavorful mixture, resulting in fat, stuffed drumsticks or wings. To cook the stuffed chickens, steaming is recommended for 30 minutes. Lettuce leaves are laid in the steamer or the bottom is lightly sprayed to prevent sticking.
After steaming, the chicken is dusted with flour and then rolled in beaten egg wash. They are then coated with panko bread crumbs that have been lightly seasoned with salt and pepper. The chicken is pan-fried until it achieves a golden brown color. To remove excess oil, the cooked chicken is laid on paper towels. The finished dish can be served as an appetizer or a main course. It pairs well with Thai sweet and chili sauce or a sweet fish sauce with lime juice and chilies and garlic, providing a delightful blend of flavors and textures.
|12 chicken legs, drumsticks or wings or half legs half wings|
For the filling you need
|2 1/2 cup of ground chicken or Pork, or shrimp|
|1/2 cup of green onion minced|
|1/2 cup of minced carrot|
|1/2 cup of minced dried mushroom (soak wash)|
|1/2 cup of minced onion|
|1/2 cup of minced bamboo shoots|
|1/3 cup of roasted crush peanut (optional)|
|1/4 cup of mix lemongrass paste (optional but Khmer people like it)|
|1 bunch of bean thread noodle (soak wash mince)|
|1 tablespoon of oyster sauce|
|1 tablespoon of soy sauce|
|1 teaspoon of sugar more or less up to you|
|Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl set aside.|
Directions to make Khmer Stuffed Chicken Legs
- Take one piece of chicken leg or wing by packing it down to the bottom. It should make a fat little drumstick or wing.
- To cook stuff chickens it is best if you steam the chicken first for 30 minutes
- In a steamer lay lettuce leave or spray the bottom of the steamer incase it is stick to the pan
- Dust each piece of stuffed chicken (you can dust or steam without dusting) with flour then lay them in the steamer and steam for 30 minutes (repeat the remaining chicken) when it done take it out to cool before you do the next step.
- Next roll them in 2 beaten egg wash, and then in panko bread crumbs slightly seasoned with salt and pepper
- Pan fry until golden brown then take the chicken out lay on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
Serve as appetizer or main dish with Thai sweet and chili sauce or sweet fish sauce with lime juice and chilies garlic.
Related Recipe: Stir Fry Pork with Ginger and Chives
Serving Size: 4
Calories Per Serving: 1486