Cambodian Special Grilled Corn
Cambodian Special Grilled Corn: A Street Food Sensation
Embark on a journey into Cambodian street food culture with the delectable Cambodian Special Grilled Corn. Unlike the conventional corn on the cob, Cambodians have elevated this humble ingredient to a street food sensation by slathering freshly cooked corn with a sweet and salty sauce. This culinary delight is primarily enjoyed as street food rather than a home-cooked dish or part of a larger meal, showcasing the unique way in which Cambodians relish their corn.
The Charcoal Grilled Magic
The key to the distinctive taste of Cambodian Special Grilled Corn lies in the use of charcoal for grilling. The charcoal imparts a smoky flavor that enhances the sweetness of the corn, creating a perfect harmony of flavors. Whether enjoyed on the streets of Cambodia or recreated at home, this special grilled corn promises a taste that goes beyond the ordinary.
The accompanying sauce adds a spicy and savory kick to the corn. Made with fish sauce, water, sugar, and salt, the sauce is a perfect blend of sweet and salty elements that complement the charred corn kernels. The green onions, sliced thinly and added to the sauce, contribute a hint of freshness to the overall flavor profile.
Grilling Indoors or Outdoors: A Spicy Treat
The versatility of Cambodian Special Grilled Corn is highlighted by the fact that it can be prepared both outdoors on a charcoal grill or indoors on a stovetop using a cast-iron skillet. The grilling process involves turning the corn every 2-3 minutes until the kernels are tender and delightfully charred. The finishing touch includes brushing the cooked corn with the flavorful sauce, creating a mouthwatering treat that is truly special. As the invitation to “Please Enjoy” suggests, this Cambodian street food delicacy promises a spicy and unforgettable culinary experience.
|6 ears corn, husks and silk removed|
|2 tablespoons of vegetable oil|
|2 tablespoons of fish sauce|
|2 tablespoons of water|
|2 tablespoons of sugar|
|1 teaspoon of salt|
|2 green onions, white parts only, thinly sliced|
|A few vegetable oil, for brushing|
Directions to make Cambodian Special Grilled Corn
- Prepare charcoal grill (barbecue corn)or preheat an ungreased cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Very lightly brush the corn with oil and set on the grill rack or in the skillet.
- Cook, turning every 2-3 minutes, until the kernels are tender and nicely charred, 12-15 minutes total; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl stir together the fish sauce, water, sugar and salt until it is dissolved.
- Heat the 2 tbsp oil in a saucepan over medium heat until very hot but not smoking.
- Carefully pour liquid mixture in (it may sputter a bit so watch out); add the green onions and simmer until the sauce begins to thicken, about 30 seconds; remove from heat and cool.
- Brush cooked corn with the sauce and serve.
Related Recipe: Special Grilled Stuffed Chicken Wings
Serving Size: 4
Calories Per Serving: 286