Vietname Banh Xeo Recipe
Vietname Banh Xeo Recipe is from Vietnam and has been very popular throughout Cambodia and Vietnam. Each country has their own way of making it, but I thought I give you my way of making Asian Crepes.
|1 package of Banh Xeo powder from the Asian store with turmeric powder on the bag|
|3 cup of cold water|
|1 cup of coconut milk|
|2 green onions thinly sliced (the bag also has instruction how to mix it)|
For the filling
|2 lbs (900 gram) of pork meat|
|3 cloves of garlic|
|3 cups of bean sprouts|
|1 white onion thinly sliced|
|2 shallots thinly sliced|
|1 cup of Roasted coconut (optional it is how I like it)|
|Green onion chopped (optional)|
|Salt, pepper and sugar to taste|
|Vegetable oil to fry the meat and crepes|
Directions to make Vietname Banh Xeo Recipe
- In a big bowl mix the powder, turmeric with milk and water until the powder dissolve then add green onion (for Khmer people do not add egg to the liquid mixture because it will cause the crepe shell to break when you cook)
- In a fry pan or wok heat oil on medium heat add garlic fry until brown
- Add chicken cook until it turns white then add shrimp to it if you use shrimp
- Take out any meat juice in the pan (no liquid in the filling)
- Add white onion, shallots, and green onion, mix well with the meat until the white onion turn soft season with salt, pepper, and sugar, if you use roasted coconut mix it with the filling now.
- Turn the heat off and mix with the bean sprouts now or you can use bean sprouts later on when you cook the crepe. Let it cool this is the filling for the Asian yellow crepes.
- Next you need to have a flat none stick fry pan that is not too heavy because you will hold it in your hand throughout the process of cooking.
- You need a bowl of vegetable oil next to you (the oil keeps the crepe from sticking to the fry pan). Heat the fry pan on medium heat until hot add a T of oil to the fry pan then hold on to the handle, you need to make sure that the oil is spread all over the bottom of the fry pan. You will repeat this process every time you pour one big ladle of the liquid to make a crepe. (Turn the heat to low when the fry pan is hot)
- Put the lid on the fry pan and cook the crepe shell until the top is no longer white and the shell turn yellow, now you add a big spoon of filling or shrimps in the middle and add a spoonful of fresh bean sprouts to it. Cover and cook for 2 minutes until the crepe turn a bit brown on the bottom then flip one side in half to close the filling. Carefully take the crepe out and lay on the big tray or dish. If you use none stick pan Crepe shell will come out by itself. Repeat the remaining liquid and filling. This is the hard part of making Asian Crepes because you have to sit by the stove the entire time.
Thank you and enjoy it.
Related Recipe: Cambodian Squash soup with Clear Rice Noodle
Serving Size: 7
Calories Per Serving: 387
% Daily Value
Total Carbohydrate 15g 5%
Cholesterol 94mg 31%
Total Fat 21g 27%
Saturated Fat 13g 65%
Dietary Fiber 2g 7%
Protein 35g 70%
Sodium 178mg 8%
Sugars 4g 8%
Share & Print
← Previous Cambodian Squash soup with Clear Rice Noodle
Next → Fish and Pork or Tofu salad