Bean Filling with Sweet Rice Flour Roll
The Bean Filling with Sweet Rice Flour Roll, known as Num Krouch, is a popular snack found throughout Southeast Asia, with variations in the filling depending on the country. This delectable treat can be made using either Red Bean paste or Yellow Mung bean paste for the filling.
To create the dough, a mixture of sugar and warm water is combined with potato flakes, glutinous rice flour, rice flour, baking soda, and vegetable oil. Additional water may be added as needed to achieve a pliable dough suitable for rolling. This versatile recipe yields at least 12 or more rice balls, depending on the desired size of both the dough and the filling.
For the filling, one can opt for ready-made red bean paste or prepare it from scratch using yellow mung beans. To make the paste, the mung beans are soaked, steamed until soft, then mashed and combined with sugar and a pinch of salt to taste. The resulting mixture is rolled into small balls, ready to be used as the filling for the rice flour rolls.
To assemble the Num Krouch, a portion of dough is flattened in the palm of the hand, and a bean paste ball is placed in the center. The dough is then folded around the filling, ensuring it is completely sealed. The filled ball is further shaped and rolled in a plate of sesame seeds, which can also be replaced with sweet Red Bean Paste as an alternative filling. Finally, the sesame rice balls are fried until they achieve a golden color, then allowed to cool before serving. This delightful snack is a fusion of sweet, nutty, and crispy textures, offering a delightful culinary experience to savor and enjoy.
For the dough
|1/2 cup of sugar with ½ cup of warm water (mix together)|
|1/2 cup of potato flake|
|1/2 cup of water + a bit more if needed to soften the dough|
|2 cups of glutinous rice flour|
|1 tablespoon of rice flour|
|1 ¼ teaspoon of baking soda|
|1 tablespoon of vegetable oil|
|1 small bag of clean yellow mung bean|
|2/3 cup of sesame seeds or Red Bean Paste|
Directions to make Bean Filling with Sweet Rice Flour Roll
- Mix all of these ingredients together include the sugar water, mix well and if needed add a bit more water to soften the dough so you can roll it out. (This recipe will make at least 12 or more rice balls depend on how big you roll the dough and filling)
- For the filling, It is easy if you buy the red bean paste ready to make and just roll it to small ball or you can do it yourself with yellow mung bean.
- First clean wash, soak mung bean for at least 4 hours or longer. Steam the mung bean until soft to mash.
- Add sugar to your liking with a bit of salt to the mung bean then mash it to paste
- Roll to a small round ball size and set aside, finish all the bean paste.
- Wrap the dough with the mung bean filling then roll on sesame seeds (2/3 cup of sesame seeds) you can use sweet Red Bean Paste as filling also.
- Take a small amount of dough and flat it in the palm of your hand get one bean paste ball put in the middle and fold the flat dough around until it is seal the bean ball completely. Roll the ball in the palm your hand until it is look round then roll it on the plate of sesame seeds press it a bit so it is fit tight into the round dough. Set it aside; finish the rest of the dough.
- Heat 6 cups of oil on medium heat until hot
- Drop few sesame rice balls into the hot oil keep turning while you fry to even the color on the rice balls. Take it out when it is golden color let it cool before serving.
Related Recipe: Easy Vietnamese Ham Recipe
Serving Size: 2
Calories Per Serving: 1189