Bitter Melon soup with Pork Recipe
The Bitter Melon Soup with Pork Recipe is a common and favored dish in Cambodia and Vietnam, particularly among Khmer grandparents who appreciate the bitter taste of the melon. This soup, however, is noted not to be suitable for young children due to its bitter flavor. The inclusion of dried shrimp and dried turnip adds saltiness, requiring caution in managing the overall salt content of the dish.
To prepare this unique soup, begin by cutting three small bitter melons into small pieces and removing all the seeds by creating holes to stuff the meat inside. The filling consists of ground pork, soaked and cut bean thread, garlic pounded into a paste, soaked dried shrimp, soaked dried turnip, soy sauce, chicken bouillon cube, and salt. The mixture is carefully combined to avoid mashing the meat.
Each bitter melon is then stuffed with the meat mixture, creating a flavorful and satisfying combination. In a medium pot, bring 4 ½ cups of water to a boil and add the stuffed bitter melons. Cook for 15 minutes or until the melon is tender, then gradually add small pieces of the reserved meat mixture to ensure even cooking. The entire process takes approximately 25 minutes for the bitter melon to reach the desired softness.
Adjust the flavor of the soup to taste, and once the bitter melon is done, turn off the heat and garnish the dish with chopped green onions. The Bitter Melon Soup with Pork is best served hot, paired with cooked rice, providing a unique and savory culinary experience.
In conclusion, this recipe showcases the distinctive use of bitter melon in a soup, offering a culinary delight that is appreciated by those who enjoy bold and unique flavors. The careful balance of ingredients ensures a well-rounded taste, making it a comforting and distinctive dish in Cambodian and Vietnamese cuisine.
|3 small bitter melons cut to small size then take all the seeds out by making hole to stuff the meat inside
|1/2 lb ground pork
|1 small bunch bean thread soaked wash cut to tiny pieces
|3 cloves of garlic pound to paste in mortar
|2 tablespoon of dried shrimp soaked set aside
|2 tablespoon of dried turnip wash set aside
|1 tablespoon of soy sauce
|1 chicken bouillon cube
|½ tablespoon of salt
|2 green onions chopped for garnish
|4 ½ of cups water
Directions to make Bitter Melon soup with Pork Recipe
- In a mortar pound ½ t of salt, garlic to paste then add dried shrimp and turnip mix it well
- Now add the ground pork to it do not pound it too hard just mix it or else your meat will be mashed, add 1 T of soy sauce and chicken bouillon cube to it then add soaked bean thread mix it again until well combine, take 1/3 cup of meat mixture out set aside for later
- Take each bitter melon and stuff it with the meat mixture one by one until all done
- In a medium pot put 4 ½ cups of water and bring to a boil, now add the stuff bitter melon cook it for 15 minutes or until tender then add ¼ of meat mixture to it bit by bit (tiny pieces) so the meat will cook the same time as bitter melon. It will take about 25 minutes for the bitter melon to get soft enough to eat.
- Taste your soup adjust the flavor when the melon is done turn the heat off and garnish with chopped green onions.
Serve hot with cooked rice
Thank you and enjoy it.
Related Recipe: Asian Chicken Salad with Ginger Dressing
Serving Size: 1
Calories Per Serving: 779