Winter Melon Gourd and Steamed Mackerel Soup
Winter Melon Gourd and Steamed Mackerel Soup is a delightful Cambodian dish known for its simplicity and delicious flavors. The soup features boneless salty steamed mackerel and winter melon gourd, creating a savory and comforting meal.
To prepare this dish, the recipe suggests using boneless salty steamed mackerel, a popular choice among many. The fish is cleaned, and if desired, deboned by making a butterfly cut along the belly, gently removing the central bones while maintaining the fish’s shape. In a pre-heated skillet or wok, vegetable oil and chopped garlic are combined, with the garlic being toasted until brown. The steamed mackerel is then pan-fried until lightly browned on both sides and set aside.
In a soup pot, winter melon gourd chunks and water (or chicken broth) are added and cooked until the gourd is almost tender. The pan-fried steamed mackerel is introduced to the pot, and the soup is cooked until the winter melon gourd reaches the desired tenderness. The dish is seasoned with fish sauce, salt, sugar, and black pepper, imparting a well-balanced taste profile.
The final touch involves topping the soup with chopped green onions before serving. This Winter Melon Gourd and Steamed Mackerel Soup is best enjoyed hot with rice, offering a delightful combination of textures and flavors in a comforting Cambodian culinary experience.
|2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
|1 clove of garlic, chopped
|1 package of 2 salty steamed mackerel
|4 cups of water or 2 canned (14.5 oz or 411 gram) of chicken broth
|1 (approx 2-3 lbs or 85 gram) winter melon gourd, peeled and cut in to chunks bite sizes
|2 tablespoons of fish sauce
|1/4 teaspoon of salt
|1 tablespoon of sugar
|1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
|2 stalks of green onion, chopped
Directions to make Winter Melon Gourd and Steamed Mackerel Soup
- To de-bones fish(optional). First cleaned fish; removed fish heads and guts, take a little sharp knife cut an opening at it belly as butterfly cut and gently pulls the central bones out without breaking it shape, set a side.
- Pre-heat a skillet or wok.
- When wok is hot, add oil and garlic, stirs till garlic brown but not burn, removed toasted garlic from hot oil, add steamed mackerel, pan fried steamed mackerel till it lightly brown on both sides and set a side.
- Put winter melon and water (or chicken broth)in a soup pot, cooked till winter melon gourd almost tender.
- Add steamed mackerel, cooked till winter melon gourd tender.
- Seasoning with fish sauce, salt, sugar and black pepper.
- Top with green onion before serve.
Serve hot with rice.
Related Recipe: Pea Shoots and Basa Fish Soup
Serving Size: 1
Calories Per Serving: 574