Khmer Glutinous Rice Mung Bean Dessert
Khmer Glutinous Rice Mung Bean Dessert is Khmer popular dessert. It takes few steps to do it. I don’t have the exact measurement, but close enough you can follow. This recipes make a lot if you don’t have too many mouth to feed cut the recipe in half.
For the filling
- 1 package (260 gram) of yellow Mung bean (buy the yellow bean ready to use no skin) Soak the beans for 2 hours in warm water
- After 2 hours wash the mung bean for few times drain then steam the mung bean in a steamer until soft.
- Let it cool then add ½ teaspoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of sugar mash it to paste.
- Take one tablespoon of mung bean paste roll it to a ball and set aside. Repeat the remaining of the paste
For the dough
- You need 16oz (260 gram) glutinous rice powder mix with 2 1/2 cups of water. Do add water little by little in case the dough is too thin. Mix the dough well then knead the dough until smooth. Take about 1 T out then roll it to a ball and flat it in the palm of your hand, now take out one roll of bean paste and cover it with the white
- dough and roll it to a round ball, set aside. Repeat the remaining dough and mung bean filling until all gone. If you like you can flat the dough a bit before boiling them so it is easy to eat.
- To cook the dough bring a big pot of water to a boil when the water is boiling drop few white dough’s with filling inside cook until the dough float to the top from that point you need to boil 5 more minutes so the glutinous rice will cook completely. Take the dough out and put them in a cold bath water let it sit for few minutes then you can add to the coconut sauce.
Coconut sauce for the glutinous rice dough
|1 can of coconut cream|
|1 can of water|
|1 cup of white sugar|
|1/2 cup of brown sugar|
|¼ teaspoon of salt|
|Toasted sesame seeds for garnish when serve|
Directions to make Khmer Glutinous Rice Mung Bean Dessert
- Boil one can of coconut cream and 1 can of water (use the coconut can to measure the water)with 1 cup of white sugar and ½ cup of brown sugar, ¼ t of salt and 1 T of thinly sliced fresh ginger on low heat. This is kind of simmering the sauce until it is hot and the ginger flavor come out. Let the sauce cool down.
- When the dough is cool down add them to the coconut sauce pan, when ready to serve add sesame seeds to it. My mom always pounds the sesame seeds (in mortar pestle) with a bit of salt to give flavor to the dessert and drizzle 1 t spoon of warm coconut cream on the top.
- Another way to serve this dessert is to take few pieces of cooked dough and add few spoonful of sauce on it instead of put them in the sauce, either way will work.
- This kind of dessert is best to serve a bit warm so the coconut won’t taste bad.
- Do adjust to your taste more sweet or less sweet up to you.
Thank you and enjoy it.
Related Recipe: Cambodian Rice noodle with Rhizome Roots
Serving Size: 2
Calories Per Serving: 1458