Cambodian Deep Fried Egg Rolls
Cambodian Deep Fried Egg Rolls are a popular dish in both Cambodian and Vietnamese cuisine. While the Chinese version typically uses cabbage, Cambodians often incorporate Taro roots for a unique flavor. The filling consists of ground pork, minced prawn or shrimp, shredded taro roots, shredded carrot, bean thread noodles, dried mushrooms or cloud ears, along with flavorings like soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, sesame oil (optional), black pepper, minced garlic, and chopped onion. These ingredients are combined in a large bowl until well-mixed and sticky.
To assemble the egg rolls, a tablespoon of the mixture is placed on a corner of a Thai spring roll wrapper, and the roll is wrapped according to the package instructions. If you want to store them, you can freeze the assembled rolls on a cookie sheet until they harden, then transfer them to a Ziploc bag and store them in the freezer for up to a month or longer.
To cook the egg rolls, heat 6 cups of vegetable oil in a deep wok or fry pan over medium heat. Once hot, carefully add a few egg rolls at a time and fry until they turn golden brown. Remove them from the oil and drain them on a paper towel.
These Cambodian Deep Fried Egg Rolls can be served in various ways. They can be enjoyed with a rice noodle salad, or served as an appetizer with Thai sweet and chili sauce or peanut sauce. This versatile dish offers a delightful combination of flavors and textures, making it a favorite in both Cambodian and Vietnamese cuisine.
Is this conversation helpful so far?
|1 package of Thai spring rolls wrappers (25 to 30 wrappers)|
|1/2 lb of ground pork|
|1/2 lb of minced prawn or shrimp|
|2 cups of shredded taro roots|
|1 cup of shredded carrot|
|1 bunch of bean thread noodle soak wash cut to small pieces|
|1 cup of dried mushroom or cloud ears soak wash cut to small pieces|
|2 tablespoon of soy sauce|
|1 tablespoon of fish sauce|
|1 tablespoon of sugar (more or less up to you)|
|1 tablespoon of sesame oil (optional)|
|1/4 teaspoon of black pepper|
|3 cloves minced garlic|
|1/2 onion chopped|
|6 cups of vegetable oil for deep fry|
|Thai sweet and Chili sauce to serve with the egg rolls|
Directions to make Cambodian Deep Fried Egg Rolls
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl until all combine and sticky.
- Take one tablespoon of mixture and lay on the corner of the wrapper
- Roll the egg roll according to package direction, if you need to freeze the egg rolls line them up on cookie sheet and freeze it for few hours until hard then put them in Ziploc store egg rolls up to a month or longer in the freezer.
- In a deep wok or fry pan put 6 cups of oil turn the heat to medium until hot; add few egg rolls at the time deep fry until golden brown then take it out drain on paper towel.
- Egg rolls can be served with rice noodle salad, or as appetizer with sweet and chili sauce or peanut sauce.
Related Recipe: Cambodian Chicken Rice Congee
Serving Size: 2
Calories Per Serving: 1040