Cambodian Vegetables Stew Recipe
The Cambodian Vegetables Stew, known as Somlor Kor Ko, is a traditional Khmer dish that features a variety of fresh and vibrant vegetables. The ideal vegetables for this stew include Asian pumpkin, long beans, green papaya, and various types of eggplants. The protein element of the dish can be chosen from options like pork, catfish, or chicken legs, with the preference being pork paired with catfish, both cut into bite-sized pieces.
To prepare the lemongrass paste, ingredients such as lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, turmeric, garlic, galangal, finger roots, salt, and knorr chicken bouillon are pounded together in a mortar and pestle. The resulting paste should have a yellow hue from the turmeric, and it forms the flavorful base of the stew.
In a large pot, the meat and lemongrass paste are combined with water, stirring until the meat is no longer pink and fish is nearly done. If using fish, it should be handled carefully to prevent breakage. The fish is then removed and set aside. The rest of the vegetables, except for the green leaves reserved for garnish, are added to the pot along with more water and chicken broth. The mixture is simmered over medium heat for 15 minutes until the vegetables become tender.
Afterward, prahok (fermented fish paste) and roasted rice are introduced back into the pot, along with the reserved fish, and cooked for a few more minutes. The stew’s flavor is adjusted to taste by adding sugar, msg, and fish sauce. Finally, the dish is garnished with the green leaves and the heat is turned off. This Cambodian Vegetables Stew is served hot, accompanied by rice and chili fish sauce, providing a flavorful and comforting culinary experience.
|2 cups of Pork, Cat fish, Chicken legs ect…I like Pork with Cat fish, cut to bite site
|2 cups of shredded papaya (do it by hand is the best)
|4 Thai medium round eggplants (trop )
|1 small long purple eggplant cut to bite size
|1 cup of long bean or green bean cut to bite site
|1 cup of tiny baby eggplant (it comes fresh with stem on or in a jar)
|1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon of roasted rice
|1 cup of pumpkin
|1 to 2 tablespoon of prahok up to you
|1 teaspoon of sugar (optional)
|2 cup of green leaves like bitter melons, green chili pepper leaves
|4 cups of water, 1 can of chicken broth
For the lemongrass paste
|2 stalk of lemongrass slice thin
|4 kaffir lime leaves slice thin
|1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
|3 to 4 cloves of garlic
|2 pieces of galangal
|1 ½ pieces of finger roots
|1 teaspoon of salt
|1 tablespoon of knorr chicken bouillon
Directions to make Cambodian Vegetables Stew Recipe
- In a mortar pestle pound all the ingredients together into paste except the chicken bouillon you put it last
- Make sure the lemongrass paste has a yellow color of turmeric if not enough put a bit more.
- You need a big pot to do this stew
- Turn the stove on add to the pot meat and lemongrass paste with 1 cup of water first (if you use fish handle it carefully) stir till the meat is no longer pink and fish is about to be done but not cook.
- Take the fish out only and set aside.
- Now add all the vegetables except the green leaves for garnish add the rest of water and chicken broth
- Turn the heat to medium and cook the vegetables for 15 minutes until it is tender
- Then add prahok, roasted rice and fish back into the pot, cook for few more minutes, at this point taste your stew and adjust the flavor by adding sugar, msg, and fish sauce up to you. Garnish with the green leaves then turn the heat off.
Serve hot with rice and chili fish sauce
Related Recipe: Chinese Sesame Chicken Recipe
Serving Size: 2
Calories Per Serving: 814